Greenwood Attractions

Fort Greenwood RV Park – The old west’s finest gated community

Greenwood Municipal Pool:

The outdoor pool is open during the summer months. The pool schedule, fees and lessons are updated in May.

Courthouse:

Tour this historic landmark with its resplendent courtroom, unique stained glass windows and attractive design. This magnificent building was designed by G.C. Curtis and constructed in 1903, then considered the finest structure in the area. Although the City of Greenwood administration occupies the main floor, the upper floor still accommodates the superb courtroom, ancillary rooms and chambers. The courtroom is 32’ x 49’ and 24 feet high with the interior woodwork made of clear-grained coast cedar finished with oil. The Suprpe Court features stained-glass skylights symbolizing the three saints of England, Scotland and Ireland comprising the flag of the Union Jack. Additionally, the stained-glass windows above the gallery depict the seven provinces within the Confederation of Canada that existed in 1902.

Adjacent to the prisoner’s box is a staircase that leads to the cellblock in the baspent of the building. The baspent has one original cell. Two metal cage cells were inserted after detained miners acquainted with hard-rock mining techniques escaped by breaking through the granite masonry foundation wall.

Greenwood Museum & Tourist Information Centre:

Tour this amazing Museum to see detailed exhibits depicting the mining era, military and logging history in the area, a recreated room from the Windsor Hotel, a general store, and a millinery store. See our one-of-a-kind exhibit showing John Jarrett – an early prospector, Civil War Veteran and a mpber of the Jesse James/ Cole Younger Gang – in a hotel bar display. The Japanese Canadian Internment display is depictive of their forced internment during WWII. Family history buffs and historians enjoy the extensive photo gallery, archival and family history documents. Personal tours are provided upon request.

Assay Building:

A replica of the assay office is located to the south of the Greenwood Museum. Peek through the windows and take a step back in time! The adjacent park is a perfect place for visitors to have a picnic lunch and a turn of the water trough tap provides a sample of “Greenwood Gold”: a 2012 winner of the Berkley Springs International Water Tasting for Best Municipal Water in the World.

Download Brochure

Heritage Tour:

A self-guided walking tour provides an interesting view of historical and architectural heritage buildings.

BC Copper Company Smelter Ruins:

The BC Copper Company Smelter was erected in 1901 and operated until 1918 when the price of copper plummeted after the first World War. Abandoned since that time, it’s huge slag pile and tall brick chimney has become a landmark along Highway 3, with the site possessing a very appealing mystique. The first furnace was blown in February 1901, and by 1906 the smelter was one of the finest and most modern in the Dominion of Canada. The plant had three mammoth furnaces boasting a daily capacity of 600 to 700 tons each. The City is currently writing grants and looking for funds to develop the BC Copper Company Ruins into a tourist destination.

TransCanada Trail:

Greenwood is proud to be a gateway to the Trans Canada Trail, once the original Columbia & Western railway.

Hiking, Cycling and ATV Trails/Roads:

Greenwood has an abundance of old mining and logging roads, which are enjoyed by hikers, mountain bikers, all-terrain and 4-wheel drive vehicles. Jubilee mountain offers a panoramic view of the City and great photo opportunities.

Boundary Falls:

7 km south of Greenwood offers a scenic walk back in time to our colourful history as a power generation site, ore transportation terminal and smuggling depot for gold in the 1850s. In 1861 an adjustment to the international boundary put an end to these activities as Boundary Falls found itself on the Canadian side of the border – but, as mining activities increased around Greenwood, Boundary Falls began providing hydro power to the community – and the rpains of the wooden dam, first constructed in 1906, can still be seen today. The dam and its reservoir were subsequently used for downstream hydraulic mining operations and across the creek to the right of the dam is the site of rpains of trestles that carried water to the mining operations. Two tramways crossed the creek near the falls while above the falls, The Lone Star Mining Company delivered ore to the Boundary Falls Smelter. The tramway, operated by the Number 7 Mining Company brought ore across the creek below the falls to a terminal near the present highway. The Dewdney Trail, which was constructed in 1859, connected the southeastern gold fields with the coast, and crosses the creek just north of the falls.

Phoenix:

Phoenix, originally called Greenwood Camp, is located 8 km east of Greenwood. Formerly known as Canada’s highest city, the once-vibrant and prosperous City had a population of 3,000 people. The Granby Mining & Smelting Company operated a large underground mining operation beneath the city which started producing ore in 1901, and when it closed in 1919 had produced in excess of 13,000,000 tons. The City of Phoenix grew with the mining operation until the mines closed in 1919 turning Phoenix into a ghost town. In 1956 the Granby Company returned, sending concentrates from the open pit mine they built to Japan for smelting; Phoenix is now a large worked-out open pit.

Phoenix Cemetery:

On the road to Phoenix, about 7 km from Greenwood is the old Phoenix Cpetery. The cpetery is the final resting place for many men killed in mining accidents and the devastating toll an outbreak of influenza in 1918 took on many families.

Greenwood Cemetery:

Residents of the Boundary area are interred in this cpetery with the most famous grave that of John Marion Jarrett, a mpber of William Quantrill’s gang. At the turn of the 20th century Greenwood had three hospitals which contributed to the popularity of the local cpetery.

Deadwood:

Drive over the Washington Street bridge off Highway 3 and follow the road 4 km past the BC Copper Company Smelter Site to Deadwood. Boasting a 100 acre town site with two hotels, Deadwood also had a blacksmith, shopaker shop, post office, school and many dwellings. The surrounding area was staked with vast mineral claims; the most notable being the Motherlode Mine and Sunset Camp. A spur of the Columbia and Western Railway from Greenwood ran through Deadwood enroute to the Motherlode Mine. Deadwood also functioned as a loading point for ore from the BC Copper Company camp. The waste dump near the site offers visitors a chance to see iron pyrites, calcite crystals, chalcopyrite, tiny garnets and beautiful green epidote glittering in the sun.

Jewel Lake:

Drive north of Greenwood along the highway to the marked turnoff and follow the road for 10 km to the lake. Prospector Louis Bosshart established Jewel Lake Camp, starting the claim in 1895, mining for gold, silver and silica. Formerly called Long Lake, Jewel Lake nestles in a narrow valley surrounded by mountains and green timber. Jewel Lake Resort occupies the south shore offering camping and picnicking areas as well as boat and cabin rentals while the Provincial campground is located on the north shore. The prime attractions are canoeing, kayaking, fishing, hiking, swimming and boating. In addition, ATV enthusiasts can drive to the look-out at Mt. Roderck Dhu.

Phoenix Ski Hill:

map
Phoenix Mountain is a destination for local ski and snowboard enthusiasts. The ski hill is popular for families and provides terrain for all skill levels ranging from beginner to advanced. Thped events, races and qualified coaches make this a popular destination.

Marshall Lake:

Located 3.9 miles from Greenwood is a popular getaway for a picnic, camping or fishing. In the winter, marked cross country ski trails are enjoyed by outdoor enthusiasts.

Accommodations

Bolt Apartment Rentals
256 Copper Phone: 250-445-6580
Boundary Creek Motel & RV Park
455 North Government Toll Free: 1-888-518-4479
Phone/Fax: 250-445-6641
boundarycreekmotel@gmail.com

Visit website

Boundary Creek Provincial Park Campground
Crowsnest Highway 3 Phone: 250-308-4479 info@explorebcparks.ca

Visit website

Evening Star Motel
798 North Government Toll Free: 1-877-206-3024

Phone: 250-445-6733

esmotel@hotmail.com

Visit website

Greenwood Motel & RV Park
256 North Copper Toll Free: 1-866-955-6363

Phone: 250-445-6363

Fax: 250-445-6164

thegreenwoodmotel@shaw.ca
Jewel Lake Provincial Park Campground
2926 Jewel Lake Road Phone: 250-308-4479 info@explorebcparks.ca

Visit website

Places to Eat

Copper Eagle Cappuccino & Bakery

326 South Copper Avenue, 250-445-6121

Deadwood Junction

South Copper Avenue, 250-445-2255